Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Day out in San Francisco

It was a bright & sunny day yesterday. I havnt explored outdoors for a while, so i decided to head to the city and make use of my new DSLR. After a long time , this was an excursion i was doing alone on my own and I had a gala time! I took the BART from Fremont to Powell Street. After getting down i walked to the Union Square. It had pretty Xmas decorations. There was a bagpiper playing there, that was fun to watch. From Union Street i walked through the Chinatown exploring the city on the way on foot. After walking about 2 miles and using my extremely precious streetwise San Francisco, i reached Ghirardelli Square. It was fun climbing and descending the hilly roads of the city. The city was bustling with crowd because of the holiday season. At Ghirardelli Square i saw another Xmas tree and a super long queue at the Ghirardelli Ice Cream shop. I clicked some pictures and asked a guy to take a picture of me. The only issue with travelling alone is taking pictures of yourself. You either mount your tripod or request someone. I had a hot chocolate at Ghirardelli and took a short break from walking. It was quite refreshing to sit down after such a long walk. My foot journey began again towards Fisherman's Wharf, and i saw more and more crowd. I walked all along Jefferson and Embarcadero stopping at Pier 39 . The xmas decorations here were the best among all places. Here i tried the self timer mode of my SLR for the first time and took shots of myself. Finally i reached the Ferry building and by this time i was pretty hungry. I went to the other side to Embarcadero Center and had a crepe which was yummy and along with that also had another sit down break. Now i could feel the brunt of my 5 mile foot exploration during the day on my legs :-), but it was fun. I was so determined to walk the entire distance yesterday from the very beginning that i thoroughly enjoyed it and completed it with more energy inspite of the slopes of the city. I was now waiting for it to get dark so that i could use the manual mode of the SLR to take some night pictures. Once it was dark, i walked to Pier-1 to click the Bay bridge. Overall a fun filled day spent with myself. I totally loved the experience of travelling alone without a plan with a Streetwise San Francisco map as the best friend.

1 comment:

Zman said...

Woohooo! Waiting for the night pics :-)