Thursday, June 28, 2007

Multitasking in human brain- Are we better than computers?

Yesterday I was travelling in bus number 6 returning home from Walmart. As ususal my ipod was glued to my ears. I saw a kid probably around 10 years sitting on the opposite seat. He too had his ipod plugged and was simultaneosuly writing some stuff in English in his notebook. He was writing, erasing, writing again turning back and forth the pages and ofcourse listening to music simultaneously. That made me think that the Multitasking Era has been set into place at quite a young age now. We listen to music, even watch TV while working, do sms in between studying, i talk on the phone almost continuously as long as I cook. And sometimes i burn the food doing that! To make things easy for me I have installed my blue tooth so that I can work more "Efficiently" while I talk over the phone. So technology is really taking care of the new Maultasking brain. So the question is , is multitasking good for us? One thing ofcourse is that we dont burn Watts of power as the processors even if we do extensive multitasking. Our operating system (the brain) is more efficient than Windows to set the priorities among the different tasks we do simultaneosuly assigning them the needed resources. Yes this does happen, the brain assigns different resources like thinking, logic etc to different tasks as discovered by a UCLA group through MRI images. The neurologists also say that multitasking is less efficient than doing one job at a time, so if a kid reading a history chapter does text messaging in between thats not too good for his learning. And so for us too like browsing the net while working to check the bank account or pay the bills, messaging etc etc etc ..list goes on..Well i have a couple of times felt the heat of multitasking when i felt really exhausted after trying to complete too many things in the least possible time. Sometimes it makes me really wonder that the flexible 1.5 Kg brain we have packed inside our head so compactly is really good in assigning the priorities to tasks and executing them in the multitasking mode..Dont know what algorithm it runs though! The irony is that the society is being shaped in a way which demands humans to do multitasking, primarily the reason being the technology. So next time you multitask, dont forget to enjoy the job which you could have done one at a time and maybe also better!

1 comment:

Bharat said...

Believe me, it's possible, else I wldnt be browsing at work:)