Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Common English usage goofs

I goofed up and got tricked on some of the following items. I believe some of these are common goof up spots for many of us , so listing them below. Hope you find them interesting and learn something out of them:
1. Traveller is British english whereas traveler is American english. Both are correct spellings.
2. Tonight is the coming night, however tonite is an explosive compound !
3. In US english practice is used either as a verb or as a noun. However in British english practice is a noun and practise is a verb. My google editor doesnt even recognize practise while i am typing right now, it marks it with a red underline.
4. Both flower and flour are pronounced the same way.
5. Jewelry is US english whereas jewellery is British english. All my life i have been spelling it as jewellery , when i came across jewelry it was unbelievable!
6.license- yes thats how its spelled not lisence.

1 comment:

Ash said...

I hate that too.... I hate to come in terms with the google editor.... But as Indians we are greatly influenced by Brit English.. which is totally perfect & cool too.... So funny, I feel sometimes to even think about it..... What a dilemma we are in... Many right words are not right any more!!!!!! ;-)

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)