Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Evening snacks at work

I think evening is one of the deadliest times when people get hunger pangs. I certainly noticed this trend in my group at work. I see folks taking nibbles of different snacks, junk food like cookies, chips, crackers etc & gobbling them down to get a quick relief from hunger. I am also a part of the evening junk eaters at work. After a moderately sized lunch at noon, its natural to feel hungry in the evening. Also, we tend to stay at work till late evening like 7:30 or 8 pm, which makes the gap between lunch and dinner too long & irresistible. So, i am attempting to create a list of the options for snacks that can be had at work without consuming monstrous calories, do add to it if you have ideas:

1. Fruits: the most convenient & healthy option.Bananas, oranges, melons or any other seasonal fruits can provide some calories to get you through the day.
2. Sprout Salad: Rich in Iron and protein, toss any sprouted legumes with some spices, tomatoes, cucumbers, walnuts & lemon juice.
3. Rawa Idlis: Extremely simple to make in a microwave, just takes a few minutes and is also a healthy option.
4. Sandwich: Tomato & cheese sandwich is easy to carry from home, ofcourse if you don't mind a few extra calories from cheese.
5. Bhel Puri: Easy to concoct, just add the chutneys before eating else it will be too soggy.
6. Baby carrots tossed in spices and lemon juice.
7. Yogurt snacks: Here you can have a fruit flavored yogurt or yogurt mixed with some spices, cucumbers and cilantro.
8. Oatmeal: Last but not the least, might not be the most palatable for some of us but it does a god job of filling you up.
Got more ideas to add to my versatile list?

1 comment:

Shachi said...

Fruits is probably the only thing that works for me from this list - rest all I would finish wayyyy before evening if its lying in front of me....

I do keep khakhra, wheat or multigrain crackers, raw nuts like walnuts n pistachios, and a dark chocolate at my desk. I regularly snack of these apart from fruits (which are free at Intel :))